How are you coping with recruiting in the Current Climate?
– Sue Rees Associates can help…
Recruiting during a recession can be overwhelming. A year ago you may have expected 10 maybe even 20 applicants for your vacancy but now that number is more likely to be 100 or 200. You could easily overlook the ideal candidate in a mountain of CVs so how will you find him or her? Or you might not even hear from the most suitable candidate.
If you feel you are swimming against the tide let us support you
Our practical tips are designed to help you ‘see the wood for the trees’ as you begin to sort through the mountain of CVs. Before you start though, take a few minutes to review the Person Specification you have prepared as this will help you focus on the skills your ideal candidate will bring to your business. (We discussed how to write a Person Specification in our July 2008 newsletter)
- Evaluate each CV to pick out those individuals with appropriate skills and aptitudes and put all other CVs to one side
- Highlight relevant work experience for each of the potential candidates and create a ‘long list’ of CVs
- Consider the education of the applicants on your ‘long list’ and identify those who best fit your criteria to create a ‘medium list’
- Review the ‘medium list’ and attempt to create a ‘short list’ of people to call for interview – but keep an eye on your legal obligations to avoid discrimination
- Begin inviting candidates for interview, contacting each one arranging diaries and confirming appointments.
Following this approach will help you focus but also keep you on the right side of the law. However, you can still typically expect to spend several hours on this stage of the process and at the end still not fill the role.
If this sounds daunting, why not consider a time/cost effective alternative?
At Sue Rees Associates we can take that burden away from you ensuring you only receive CVs of candidates that not only have the necessary qualifications but also the right personality and fit for your company. We initially meet with all of our clients so we can establish a better understanding of the company culture, work environment and personalities within. This is critical in the short list process as each business is so different, candidates are only then presented on these key factors to also include relevant experience.
Remember we only invoice upon successful completion of the recruitment process and when the candidate actually starts employment with you!
Our Terms of Business are tailored to each client as businesses are so different; we are honest, reliable and also flexible.
All our candidates are met personally by us so we take copies of identification, copies of certificates as well as eligibility to work in the UK if needed. We can also provide a comprehensive security check should you require it. We keep in touch throughout the recruitment process offering feedback to clients and candidates. Upon successful employment we regularly keep in touch to ensure that you are satisfied and also that the new employee has settled in.
Times are very difficult so you need to be innovative and think very carefully about your staffing needs and be flexible so that you can keep hold of talent and skills. If we can be of help in any way please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are proud to reinforce that we are committed to provide a personal and professional service. For an experienced and objective view to your recruitment, please call 01865 292141 for a free, confidential discussion.
The Team at Sue Rees Associates
April 2009, Issue 6
– See more at: http://www.suerees.co.uk/newsletter_6#sthash.nXsqWV9L.dpuf